Overview of Deferred Action for Parents (DAPA)

Deferred Action for Parents of Americans and Lawful Permanent Residents (DAPA) was created as part of President Obama’s immigration executive action.  

Under DAPA, the undocumented parents of Americans or lawful permanent residents (green card holders) who have lived in the U.S. since January 1, 2010 can apply for permission to work and permission to stay in the U.S. for three years. This new program has the potential to change the lives of over 4 million people.

Who is Eligible?

You are eligible to apply for DAPA if you:

  • Were unlawfully present in the U.S. on November 20, 2014;
  • Have lived in the U.S. since January 1, 2010;
  • Have a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident child who was born on or before November 20, 2014;
  • And are not an immigration enforcement priority.

Take our quick DAPA Eligibility Quiz to see if you quailify.

What Are the Benefits?

  • Protects you from being arrested and deported for three years and can be renewed.
  • Provides an employment authorization document that will allow you to work legally.
  • Allows you to apply for a social security number.
  • In almost all states, you will be able to qualify for a driver’s license.
  • In many states, you will be able to qualify for in-state tuition.
  • You may be able to apply to the government for a travel document that will allow you to leave and return to the U.S.

When Can I Apply?

Not right now. Don't be fooled by "notarios" and people who tell you otherwise. There is no application. Check back with iAmerica to find out the date.

In the meantime, you can start getting ready by collecting the information you might need to submit. Go to Get Ready to see the list of documents.

How Much Does It Cost to Apply?

The application fee will be $465, which includes a $380 fee for the employment authorization application and a $85 fee for fingerprints.

There will likely be fee exemptions, but based on the experience with DACA they will only be granted in very limited circumstances.

Where can I apply for DAPA?

You’ll be able to start by filling out the DAPA application right here on iAmerica.org. We will put you in touch with places where you can apply in person and for those who prefer to fill out the paperwork on their own, we’ll have an easy to use secure on-line tool that you can use. Register with the iAmerica family so you can be among the first to apply on iAmerica.org.

Are there dangers in applying for DAPA?

We are still waiting to hear what confidentiality protections will be provided and other details about the DAPA application process.

DAPA, like DACA, provides temporary permission to work and remain in the United States. It does not provide a path to a green card or to citizenship.

IMPORTANT: Don’t tell others that you are applying for DAPA. The information that you are applying for DAPA may mean that you do not have work authorization. This information could cost you your job.

Get Ready

While you cannot apply yet, you can do the following to begin to prepare for your application:

  • Gather documents that show identity
  • Gather documents that show relationship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident child;
  • Gather documents that show you have lived in the U.S. since January 1, 2010.

For more information and the full list of documents you will need to apply, visit the Get Ready page.