Updated 11/7/2023

TPS Available Through July 5, 2025

On June 13, 2023, DHS announced an 18-month extension of Temporary Protected Status (TPS) for eligible Hondurans who currently hold TPS, through July 5,  2025. DHS also withdrew the Trump administration’s 2018 termination of Honduran TPS. Until the DHS announcement, several lawsuits had temporarily stopped the termination from going into effect.  

TPS provides temporary immigration status, protection from deportation, and permission to  work in the U.S.

Who Is Eligible for Honduran TPS?
Current Honduran TPS holders (who have lived in the U.S. since December 30, 1998) can apply for an extension of TPS and work authorization. The announcement did not expand TPS to include Hondurans who came to the U.S. and have lived here after December 30, 1998.

How Do I Apply for an Extension of TPS?
Hondurans who currently have TPS must apply (re-register) for an extension by filing a TPS application (Form I-821) by July 5, 2025.

How Do I Apply for a Work Authorization Extension?
To obtain proof of your work authorization extension through July 5, 2025, you must file an application, (Form I-765), for a new work permit valid through July 5, 2025. While you are waiting to receive your new work permit, your auto-extension of work authorization is valid  until June 30, 2024.

Since I Received Automatic Work Authorization and a TPS Extension until June 30, 2024,  Do I Still Need to Apply for an Extension?
Yes, if you want your TPS status and work authorization to continue through July 5, 2025, you must apply for an extension.

When Should I File for Work Authorization?
You can file an application for work authorization (Form I-765) with your TPS application or before the end of the TPS registration period. DHS recommends filing your work authorization as soon as possible.

Take Action, and Make your Voice Heard!
TPS saves lives by protecting people who are already in the U.S. from returning to countries  that are unsafe. Take action by telling your senator to urge President Biden to redesignate TPS for existing TPS countries and extend TPS to other countries that also qualify: 1-877-267-5060

Remember – it’s important not to travel outside the U.S. without first applying for and receiving permission to travel, advance parole.

Back to TPS Resources